Development of Social Enterpreneurship in Serbia
World economic crises started in 2008, and Serbia’s economy still was not prepared and strong enough for new economic reality. Country growth indicators have significantly diminished and almost stopped. In 2009 for the first time in this century the economic downturn of 3% was recorded. The Crisis also increased number of extremely poor people in 2010. Thus, social entrepreneurship is introduced as an innovative form of business, the one deeply rooted in the local community and based on inclusiveness and the one that can strongly absorb needs of employment market. In EU 6% of population is employed in SE sector and it contributes with 4% to the GDP, while number of its users and customers is more than one hundred millions. Therefore, capacity building of local stakeholders and employment/social services providers at local level about social economy potential in Serbia will be attained through series of regionally based, comprehensive trainings. This in turn could influence increased employability of socially disadvantaged groups in the regions of Serbia, now addressing sensitized local institutions. Overall promotion of SE concept in local communities will be result of extensive media campaign. In turn, network of support for potential future social entrepreneurs at local level will be shaped.
The project proposal activities will enhance local socio-economic development through promotion of innovation and alternative economy. The project will result in establishment of a system of support for future social entrepreneurs in order to establish solid base of social entrepreneurship development in Serbia. Project implementation will secure establishing of the support network for future social entrepreneurs through concentrated efforts of National employment Service’s branches, municipalities, centers for social work, regional development agencies and other actors in the field of employment, entrepreneurship and social issues. Moreover, Info-sessions for potential social entrepreneurs will allow further concept introduction, and increasing employment opportunities for marginalized groups. European partners, Co.Ge.S and Irecoop Veneto will provide transfer of know-how and expertise from one of the most successful European models of social economy.
The overall objective is to enhance local socio-economic development through promotion of innovation and alternative economy.
The specific objectives include
- Capacity building of local stakeholders and employment/social services providers at local level about alternative economy potential in Serbia with focus on social entrepreneurship
- Increased employability of socially disadvantaged groups in the regions of Serbia
- Promotion of social entrepreneurship concept in local communities
- Creating network of support for potential future social entrepreneurs
Partners on the project are IRECOOP Veneto, Regional Institute for Education and Co.Ge.S.n nongovernment organization form Italy. The project is supported by National Employment Service, Social Inclusion and Poverty Reduction Unit (SIPRU) within the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister for European Integration, Group 484, Smart Kolektiv, Balkan fond for Local initiatives and Initiative for Development and Cooperation.
- Needs assessment will be conducted among local institutions representatives with the purpose to enable insight into the needs of local institutions, their capacities, plans for development and level of knowledge. Also, collected results will be a base for finalizing training agenda. Collected data will be the main instrument for creating specific training sessions, and in this way, different needs of local institutions will be fulfilled in most suitable way.
- Capacity building/Training sessions
- Training curricula will consist of two parts, based on the specific target groups and goals and objective the project aims to achieve.
- Training for all local stakeholders (representatives of municipality officials, NES, offices for local economic development, chambers of commerce, centers for social work, etc.)
- Additional Training sessions for NES’s employees
Raising awareness activities
- Parallel to the trainings sessions, half-day Info sessions for unemployed will be organized. They will be provided with clear and practical information about SE, short history and development in Serbia, its potentials but also lessons learned so far from the number of existing social enterprises.
- Project PR team will prepare media plan which will be followed during whole project implementation period. Press materials will accompany every activity, and special attention will be devoted to presenting good practice examples, and therefore visits of media to social enterprises will be organized.
29 June 2011 – 29 June 2012
The project is supported by EU Delegation in Republic of Serbia, under the Project „Support to Civil Society“
For more information:
SUPPORT TO CIVIL SOCIETY Project
Projekat “PODRŠKA CIVILNOM DRUŠTVU“
20a/3 Palmotićeva St.
11 000 Belgrade
Republic of Serbia
Tel: +381 11 324 42 01
DELEGATION OF THE EUROPEAN UNION TO THE REPUBLIC OF SERBIA
DELEGACIJA EVROPSKE UNIJE U REPUBLICI SRBIJI
Vladimira Popovića 40
19 Avenue GTC Block 19a
New Belgrade 11070 Belgrade, Republic of Serbia
Tel: +381 11 3083200 Fax: +381 11 3083201
Delegation on the web: http://www.europa.rs
European Union on line: http://europa.eu
The project is the sole responsibility of the European Movement in Serbia and can in no way be taken to reflect the views/responsabilities of the European Union.