Taking the EU benefits for granted, citizens of CEE countries lack solidarity and understanding of WB EU accession process. Likewise, citizens in WB are unaware of changes that EU integration brings. There is deficiency of EU Enlargement debate based on individual experiences of citizens, in comparison to the one at policy level which does not engage wider public. This lack of citizens’ support and understanding on both sides could endanger forthcoming Enlargement process.
The project goal is to contribute to better understanding and promotion of significance of Enlargement process by connecting Past and Present EU experience and engage present and future generations of EU citizens. Project aims:
· To encourage debate on recent EU Enlargement (2004, 2007, 2013) benefits among citizens in 4 CEE (Romania, Croatia, Poland, Lithuania) and WB countries, especially Serbia and Montenegro;
· To promote EU values and history, as well as its impact on everyday life of citizens in 4 CEE and 2 WB countries;
· To increase knowledge on positive impacts of European integration process among youth in Serbia and Montenegro.
It will involve over 650 participants, mostly youth, directly through various forms of debates and 500.000 reached online. The debate topics are focused on: Enlargement in 2025–Possible future for Serbia and Montenegro, CEE Enlargement – lessons from citizens` perspective and Expending Peace in Europe: 15 Years of the Bing Bang. Participants will be informed on positive impact of past and future Enlargements in all 6 countries.
Project activities will be implemented according to partners` capacities, and project aims – approachable for citizens and economically appropriate and will include:
1) Internal partners meetings – will be organized twice in Belgrade, Serbia.
2) Project events – 1 public event per partner will be organized in 5 partner countries. 3 Larger scale public events will be organized by EMinS in Belgrade in reliable conference spaces. Two of them will be organized within Belgrade Security Forum – 2018 on the topic of Enlargement 2025 and 2019 on the topic of 15 years celebration of the Big Bang Enlargement.. 13 other youth events will be organized in cooperation with EMinS’ Youth Forum in Serbia.
3) Online campaign – partners will be working together during 16 months on creating and disseminating project content and activities online.
· Engaged citizens in thinking, remembering and sharing experiences of EU Enlargement process in EU and in WB;
· Positive perception, visibility and awareness of the Enlargement in EU, Serbia and Montenegro increased;
· Knowledge and understanding of impact of Enlargement on citizens in 4 CEE EU countries EU and WB deepened and increased;
· Mutual understanding among citizens of current 4 CEE EU members, Serbia and Montenegro increased.
Duration of the project: August 2018 – November 2019.
Project partners: NGO ALPHA Centre, Montenegro; GONG Croatia; Youth Entrepreneurship Promotion Association Lithuania; Romanian Academic Society, Romania; Polish Robert Schuman Foundation , Poland.
Project is co-funded by the Europe for Citizens Programme of the European Union.