Absence of contact with peers from different cultural backgrounds within Serbia contributes to lack of knowledge among youth on cultural diversity and interculturalism. Over 40% of youth in Serbia says the fact they are Serbian fully describes their identity, while one fifth thinks loss of identity is an inevitable consequence of EU membership. This shows poor understanding of the EU, its values and concept of interculturalism, embodied in motto United in diversity. On the other side, educational system in Serbia does not encourage interculturalism, nor does it offer sufficient information to high school students on topics of interculturalism and cultural diversity.
In addition, there is no network of youth CSOs and CSOs dealing with youth in Serbia dealing with issues of interculturalism and cultural diversity. The existence of such a network is of great importance, given the role of youth CSOs and CSOs dealing with youth in non-formal youth education, but also because joint approach and advocacy activities would have a greater impact on decision-makers.
Overall objective is to increase capacities of the Serbian CSOs to address cultural diversity within reform process and EU integration process.
Specific objectives are:
- to create institutional support for promotion of intercultural dialogue and cultural diversity by establishing the Network United by diversity of youth CSOs and CSOs dealing with youth in Serbia and to strengthen capacities of the Network members;
- to empower youth in Serbia on topics related to intercultural dialogue and cultural diversity as well as to enhance a consciousness of being a part of the same society as a whole.
- institutional support for promotion of cultural diversity and interculturalism created by establishing a Network of youth CSOs and CSOs dealing with youth in Serbia;
- capacities of youth CSOs for promotion of cultural diversity and interculturalism strengthened;
- youth in Serbia empowered on topics related to intercultural dialogue and cultural diversity and enhanced a consciousness of being a part of the same society as a whole.
- Preparational activities
- Initial meeting of project partners
- Establishing of the Network United by diversity
- Capacity building workshops for Network members
- Development of innovative methodology for intercultural exchanges
- Conducting competition My community in intercultural Europe in selected high schools
- 20 three-day exchanges for high school students, including 20 Intercultural European classes
- Creation of Quiz United in diversity and Board game Let’s unite in diversity
- Two-day visit to Belgrade and the Final Event Intercultural puzzle of Serbia
- Creation and promotion of the short movie Intercultural puzzle of Serbia
Project partners: European Movement in Serbia – Leskovac, Forum of civil action (FORCA), Local Democracy Agency Subotica (LDA), Timok Youth Club.
Project is co-financed by: Civil Society Facility Programme of the European Union.
Duration: January 15, 2020 – January 15, 2022
- FIRST STEP TOWARDS INTERCULTURAL WORK WITH HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS
- New Youth Network to Support Interculturalism