The European Union has adopted the Paris Agreement, which agreed on the implementation of measures in order to enable the EU to become a climate-neutral society by 2050. Serbia’s obligations in this area are defined in Chapter 27 – Environment, Climate Change and Civil Protection. The Annual Progress Report 2020 in Chapter 27 states that Serbia has achieved a certain level of preparedness in the field of climate change, but implementation is only in its initial phase. The Law on Climate Change has been adopted, which is crucial for reducing the impact on climate change and adaptation. The Progress Report states that Serbia must significantly strengthen its administrative and technical capacity to implement, monitor and report on the implementation of EU regulations in the field of climate change, as well as increase awareness-raising activities. Serbia is a signatory to the Green Agenda for the Western Balkans, in which the priorities are climate, energy and mobility.
The European Movement of Serbia Network operates both individually in 14 local communities and jointly through the exchange of experiences, ideas and information, drawing on each other’s professional capacities. One of our advantages is the professional and technical capacities of the European Movement in Serbia, which is also a member of the International European Movement. Through this project, we want to contribute to the more active involvement of civil society organizations and other actors in 6 cities in the implementation of the EU acquis regarding environmental protection, ie in the segment of climate change and the implementation of adaptation measures.
The overall goal of the project is to contribute to improving the capacity of civil society organizations in the field of combating climate change.
The specific objectives are:
- To ensure coordination of the activities of EMINS Network members in the implementation of the EU acquis in the field of environment (climate change) by the end of 2021.
- That the general public in Serbia recognizes the EMINS Network as a partner for the preparation and implementation of public policies related to the environment (battle against climate change).
- Updated records of active organizations, informal groups in the field of environment as well as an overview of the state of the environment on the territory of the EMINS Network
- Adopted strategy of the EMINS Network in the field of environmental protection (climate change)
- Established Web platform for action networking of local organizations
- Improved knowledge and skills of local organizations and activists to advocate for a “Green Agenda at the Local Level” and monitor local policies
- Dialogue launched in Serbian cities on the role of CSOs in the process of implementation of the EU acquis at the local level in the field of environmental protection
- Available information to the public in Serbia on the role of CSOs in the process of reform in the field of environmental protection and mitigation of the consequences of climate change.
- Mapping and capacity assessment of the EPUS network and local CSOs dealing with environmental issues
- Consultations with the members of the EPUS Network regarding the planning and coordination of joint actions
- Development of an electronic tool for the exchange of information, experience and launching initiatives
- Education and workshops of local CSOs and activists
- Round tables on climate change management
- Media campaign
The project is funded by: Activities of the “Green Agenda at the Local Level” are part of the program Eco-system: Support to environmental reforms implemented by the Young Researchers of Serbia and supported by Sweden.
Project duration: August 1 – December 31, 2021.