The Forum for International Relations of the European Movement in Serbia (EMinS) and the Albanian Institute for International Studies (AIIS) launched the project of the Joint Centre for Albania-Serbia Relations, with support of the Federal Republic of Germany.
The cooperation between Serbia and Albania has a strategic importance for the European integration of the Western Balkans. The bilateral initiatives, which are of great importance for regional cooperation, have so far been in the shadow. Main obstacles to the establishment of normal and fruitful relations between Albania and Serbia include the lack of knowledge about each other and the lack of opportunity for contact and mutual cooperation. Bearing all this in mind, the Albanian Institute for International Studies initiated the establishment of a joint center that would encourage interaction between experts, journalists, researchers, artists and decision-makers of the two countries.
This project will offer a new approach for the improvement of Serbian-Albanian relations inspired by the civil society, and provide new opportunities for mutual contact and cooperation, as well as for the improvement of the knowledge of citizens from these two countries about each other. Furthermore, the project will help young people to fight against mutual prejudice, open the space for cooperation between the media, foster the creation of new media coverage that will bring the citizens closer to the everyday life in these two countries, and engage decision makers at different levels to contribute to better cooperation between Serbia and Albania through active policies.
- Creation of bilateral mechanisms and safe spaces for improvement of relations between Albania and Serbia through various opportunities for discussion, cooperation, social interaction, and working towards common goals.
- Empowerment of actors including youth, civil society representatives, business community, cultural workers and media, to contribute to the improvement of relations between the two countries in the various spheres.
- Feeding and maintenance of informed and constructive public debate in regard to bilateral relations between Albania and Serbia as well as regional cooperation.
Project Activities in 2016 include:
- Roundtables discussion
- Durres Forum
- European Academy for Youth
- Research fellowships for young researchers
- Journalist exchange
Target group of the project:
Youth, media representatives, representatives from the civil society, business community, as well as political actors and decision-makers.
Project timeframe: February – December 2016
With support of: