Activist and project manager Zorana Milovanović, as a candidate of the European Movement in Serbia, was shortlisted for the award “Woman of Europe 2021” in the category of “Women in Youth Activism”. The annual “Women of Europe” award is traditionally given by the International European Movement and the European Women’s Lobby since 2016.
Zorana Milovanović is in the shortlist for the award together with Greta Thunberg, a Swedish climate change activist, and Zahra Karimy, a women’s and children’s rights activist.
The “Women of Europe” award is given to highlight the contribution of women in promoting and solving European issues while encouraging women’s participation in debates about Europe and its future. According to the leaders of the International European Movement and the European Women’s Lobby, “the role of women in the European project remains largely unrecognized, and the award aims to recognize and showcase women’s inspirational initiatives that give voice to all women across Europe and defend European values such as democracy, inclusion and diversity.”
The European Movement in Serbia nominated Zorana Milovanović on the basis of her dedicated work and selfless commitment in the field of gender equality, social innovations and social entrepreneurship.
“Zorana has extensive experience as a women’s rights activist. She has an extremely powerful voice at work – from being at the forefront of supporting the LGBTQ community, to providing broad expertise to her colleagues on all issues related to the socio-economic environment in Serbia. Zorana is very interested in social innovations and social entrepreneurship – she is consistently focused on solving social issues and creating sustainable social change. She is the driving force behind the “Share Your Knowledge” project, which has inspired hundreds of women in Serbia in terms of socio-economic growth, personal development and economic independence. It organizes project activities, connects mentors and encourages the development of women’s leadership in Serbia and the region. She cares about getting involved in important conversations and putting important social issues in the spotlight, either through her work, engaging on social media or on the street. ”
The award is given in four categories and for 2021 the shortlist includes:
- Woman in office (demonstrating political leadership at European international level):
- Kauthar Bouchallikht, Dutch politician and climate change activist
- Angela Merkel, German Chancellor
- Silvia Costa, Extraordinary Commissioner of the Italian Government
- Woman in Action (who excelled in dealing with policies at the local level)
- Jenny Rasche, Founder and President of Kinderhilfe Fur Siebenburgen E.V.“
- Ineta Ziemele, Judge of the Court of Justice of the European Union
- Gina Miller, activist and anti-Brexit fighter
- Women in business (who promotes European integration and entrepreneurship):
- Dr. Ozlem Tureci</strong, doctor, immunologist, lecturer and entrepreneur
- Anne Negre, lawyer at UWE – University Women of Europe
- Tijen Onaran, CEO and Founder of GDW Global Digital Women
- Women in youth activism (which contributes to strengthening the voice of young women in Europe – ages 15-30):
- Greta Thunberg, Swedish climate change activist
- Zorana Milovanović, activist and project manager of the European Movement in Serbia
- Zahra Karimy, women’s and children’s rights activist.
The final selection and award ceremony of the “Woman of Europe” award will be organized online on Wednesday, December 1, 2021, from 16:00 to 17:00.
More information about the “Women of Europe” award and the shortlist, as well as the winners of previous years, can be found on the official website of the International European Movement, here.
In the meantime, news, announcements and discussions within the “Women of Europe” award can be followed on Twitter by searching the hashtag #WomenofEurope.
Good luck, Zorana!